Creative Arts Therapist (P/T)
Youth Justice Network (YJN) was founded in 1990 to anchor, support and build capacity among young people released from jail in New York City. We break cycles of incarceration and promote an equitable justice system by providing young people with opportunities to grow, thrive, and lead. Through a combination of individualized advocacy, mentorship and services, our network of advocates develops relationships with young people whose lives intersect with the justice system. We leverage authentic relationships and local resources so that young people can forge their pathways to wellbeing and positive development.
To apply email firstname.lastname@example.org with a resume and cover letter.
As part of Youth Justice Network’s team, our Creative Arts Therapist will serve as a support for our young people who need in the area of health and well-being. We are seeking a compassionate, creative, and energetic therapist who will conduct screenings/assessments, provide individual and group therapy, and support crisis intervention needs as they arise. These services would be offered in a non-traditional setting that focuses on using forms of art to engage young people in their development of therapeutic healing and change.
The work will primarily be in-person with occasional virtual options.
Part time - 20 hours per week.
Reports to Associate Executive Director.
Conduct initial screening and assessments used to develop a health and well-being plan for YJN participants in-custody and in the community
- Work with agency staff to identify young people who would benefit from therapeutic services
- Use screening and assessments tools that help young people create health and well-being plans
Host individual and group wellness sessions that promote healing and resiliency
- Hold consistent individual therapy space for young people
- Develop curriculum and facilitate engaging groups
- Use forms of art as a way to engage, assess, and provide space for growth
Collaborate with agency staff to promote trauma-informed practices and interventions
- Provide guidance and support in how the agency provides therapeutic services
- Develop a network of community mental health providers in the NYC to support ongoing therapeutic needs for young people with serious challenges.
- Master’s Degree in Creative Arts Therapy required and relevant experience working with youth population;
- NYS LCAT preferred but not required
- Bilingual preferred but not required
- One- two years of experience working with youth and/or young adults
- Integrity, flexibility and a profound commitment to the youth we serve;
- Committed to working collegially and in a team-based setting;
- Strong interpersonal skills, cultural competence, and an understanding and belief in strengths-based youth development philosophy;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Skilled in meticulous documentation and an eye for detail;
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel.
- Physical ability to travel extensively throughout the five boroughs and Rikers via walking and public transportation.
Youth Justice Network is privileged to have a profoundly committed and caring staff – one which believes unconditionally in our youth members’ ability to do right and do well. We take our work very seriously, but we strive to make time for self-care and joy. We look for staff from all walks of life who have integrity, humor, a strong work ethic, are passionate about young people and committed to address the harms caused by mass incarceration.
Benefits include competitive vacation/sick leave policy including 3 days off between Christmas and New Year, generous health insurance, 403b employer match.
Salary Range: $32 to $35 per hour
All staff must be fully vaccinated at time of hire.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to:email@example.com
Currently there are no more open positions